IconicReserve_strip

HMCS Cartier Z26

HMCS Cartier, originally commissioned as a surveying vessel in the Royal Canadian Navy, served during both WW1 and WW2.  

Constructed as CGS Cartier by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson in Newcastle upon Tyne between 1908 and 1910, she was initially intended for hydrographic survey duties.

Operating under the Dominion government, Cartier undertook various tasks, collaborating with Canada, France, the United States, and England along the East Coast of Canada and throughout the Atlantic. She played a significant role in charting hazardous coastal waters, including those around Iceland and Newfoundland, and was also involved in marine insurance investigations. During WW1, CGS Cartier supported the Royal Canadian Navy as an armed patrol and training vessel for junior officers, although she retained her civilian name and remained a Dominion asset.

Despite being manned by RCN personnel, her maintenance and operation were the responsibility of the Dominion government.Returning to hydrographic survey work after the war, CGS Cartier continued to contribute to law enforcement efforts, particularly in anti-smuggling operations, while primarily functioning as a survey vessel.

In WW2, CGS Cartier was formally commissioned into the RCN as HMCS Cartier in September 1939. She served various roles including training and coastal patrol duties before reverting to training responsibilities. As a training vessel, her hydrographic survey equipment was utilized for educating officers and crew in Advanced Navigation and Naval Mine techniques.Renamed HMCS Charny on 9 December 1941 to avoid confusion with another naval unit, she continued her service primarily in training and research capacities.

Notably, she received two Mentioned in Despatches (MID) for her role in radar research, serving as a target and tracking vessel.  

Upon decommissioning, Charny was considered surplus and was scuttled offshore Sydney, Nova Scotia, in 1957.

THE PRINT
This edition print recorded on fine art stock via a large format mimeograph and generally referred to as Giclée prints of premium quality. The paper is white 100% a-cellulose with a distinct textured surface and the premium matt inkjet coating more than meets the highest industry standards vis-à-vis density, colour gamut, colour graduation and image sharpness, while preserving the extraordinary touch and feel of genuine art paper. The editions depicted on Iconic Reserve are not representative of scale and solely for the purpose of suggestive display.

STERLING SILVER 925
The edition comes with a Sterling Silver anchor with a minimum millesimal fineness of 925 which is not pierced through the print but is available on request. The print is also available without the anchor on request.

Laid down: Circa 1908
Launched: 13 - 01 - 1910
Displacement: 556 tons
Length: 164 ft
Speed: 11.5 knots
Range: 500 nautical miles
Propulsion: x2 Screws
Complement: 60
Fate: Scuttled 1957
Classification: Surveying ship
IconicReserve_strip

£125

Signed limited edition
1 of 200, 470mm x 210mm
Fine art paper 230 gsm

IconicReserve_strip