IconicReserve_strip

HMS Churchill L45

USS Herndon (DD-198) was a Clemson-class destroyer in the United States Navy. Herndon served in the United States Coast Guard as CG-17. She was later transferred to the Royal Navy as HMS Churchill and still later to the Soviet Navy as Deyatelny.  

Herndon served in the United States Coast Guard from 1930 to 1934 as part of the Rum Patrol. She was recommissioned into the Navy on 4 December 1939.  

Herndon decommissioned and was turned over to Great Britain under the Destroyers for Bases Agreement at Halifax, Nova Scotia on 9 September 1940. As HMS Churchill, she served as leader of the first Town-class flotilla in transatlantic convoys and patrol duty off the Western Approaches to the British Isles. Notable events in her career in the Royal Navy included participation in the search for the German battleship Bismarck after she had sunk the battlecruiser HMS Hood, and a visit by her namesake, the Prime Minister Winston Churchill, on his way home from the Atlantic Conference with President Franklin D. Roosevelt in August 1941. Churchill was assigned to Escort Group B-7 of the Mid-Ocean Escort Force for convoys HX 186 and ON 94.

Churchill also served as an escort for the pre- and post-invasion buildup for Operation Torch, the Allied invasion of North Africa. Churchill was modified for trade convoy escort service by removal of three of the original 4-inch /50 caliber guns and three of the triple torpedo tube mounts to reduce topside weight for additional depth charge stowage.

Transferred to the Soviet Navy 16 July 1944, the destroyer was renamed Deyatelny. She was sunk while escorting a convoy over the treacherous route from Kola Inlet to the White Sea in the Kara Sea 40 nautical miles east of Cape Terebirski, either by being torpedoed by U-956, or by accidental explosion of her depth charges while attacking the submarine, with the loss of 117 of her 124 crew.

The seven survivors reported a massive explosion at the ship’s stern. Survivors were rescued by Derzky.

THE PRINT
This edition print recorded on fine art stock via a large format mimeograph and generally referred to as Giclée prints of premium quality. The paper is white 100% a-cellulose with a distinct textured surface and the premium matt inkjet coating more than meets the highest industry standards vis-à-vis density, colour gamut, colour graduation and image sharpness, while preserving the extraordinary touch and feel of genuine art paper. The editions depicted on Iconic Reserve are not representative of scale and solely for the purpose of suggestive display.

STERLING SILVER 925
The edition comes with a Sterling Silver anchor with a minimum millesimal fineness of 925 which is not pierced through the print but is available on request. The print is also available without the anchor on request.

Laid down: 25 - 11 - 1918
Launched: 31 - 05 - 1919
Displacement: 1,190 tons
Length: 314 ft
Speed: 35 knots
Range: 4,900 nautical miles
Propulsion: x2 Geared steam turbines, x2 Shafts
Complement: 122
Fate: Sunk 1945
Classification: Town class
IconicReserve_strip

£125

Signed limited edition
1 of 200, 470mm x 210mm
Fine art paper 230 gsm

IconicReserve_strip