IconicReserve_strip

HMS Edinburgh 16

HMS Edinburgh, a Town-class light cruiser of the Royal Navy, served in World War II, particularly in the North Sea and Arctic Sea.  

Edinburgh performed convoy escort duties, searched for the battleship Scharnhorst, and underwent a lengthy refit in March 1940. Post-refit, she rejoined the 18th Cruiser Squadron, escorted troop convoys, and supported operations off the Danish coast and the raid on Lofoten Islands. She participated in the hunt for the German battleship Bismarck in May 1941, later covering convoys to the Middle East and engaging in several operations until December 1941.

In early 1942, she escorted convoys to the Soviet Union, including PQ 14, but was torpedoed by German submarine U-456 on April 30. Despite attempts to tow her back to Murmansk, she was further damaged by German destroyers and torpedo bombers. After a final torpedo hit, she was abandoned and scuttled by HMS Foresight on May 2, 1942.

Edinburgh carried 4.5 tons of gold bullion as partial payment from the USSR for wartime supplies. In 1954, salvage rights were granted to Risdon Beazley Ltd., but political tensions delayed the recovery. In 1981, Keith Jessop’s team successfully recovered 431 of the 465 gold ingots, setting a world record for deep diving.

THE PRINT
This edition print recorded on fine art stock via a large format mimeograph and generally referred to as Giclée prints of premium quality. The paper is white 100% a-cellulose with a distinct textured surface and the premium matt inkjet coating more than meets the highest industry standards vis-à-vis density, colour gamut, colour graduation and image sharpness, while preserving the extraordinary touch and feel of genuine art paper. The editions depicted on Iconic Reserve are not representative of scale and solely for the purpose of suggestive display.

STERLING SILVER 925
The edition comes with a Sterling Silver anchor with a minimum millesimal fineness of 925 which is not pierced through the print but is available on request. The print is also available without the anchor on request.

Laid down: 30 - 12 - 1936
Launched: 31 - 03 - 1938
Displacement: 13,175 tons
Length: 613.6 ft
Speed: 32 knots
Range: 5,300 nautical miles
Propulsion: x4 Parsons geared turbines, x4 Admiralty 3-drum boilers
Complement: 750
Fate: Scuttled 1942
Classification: Town class
IconicReserve_strip

£125

Signed limited edition
1 of 200, 470mm x 210mm
Fine art paper 230 gsm

IconicReserve_strip