IconicReserve_strip

HMS Mackay D70

HMS Mackay, also known as a Scott-class flotilla leader, served in the British Royal Navy. Constructed by Cammell Laird during World War I but commissioned in 1919, Mackay participated in the British campaign in the Baltic during the Russian Civil War. It remained in service during World War II, engaging in the Dunkirk evacuation in 1940 and the Normandy landings in 1944. Afterward, it primarily operated along the East coast of Britain until its scrapping in June 1949.

Originally named Calverhouse, Mackay was laid down at Laird’s Birkenhead shipyard in March 1918, later renamed after the Scottish clan. Its design, meeting Admiral Sir John Jellicoe’s specifications for a large, fast, and heavily armed leader, included a main armament of five 4.7-inch guns, torpedo mounts, and anti-aircraft weaponry. Commissioned in June 1919, Mackay saw limited modifications between the wars, though it underwent changes during World War II, such as the replacement of its amidships gun with autocannon and the addition of radar.

In service from 1919 to 1949, Mackay’s deployments ranged from the Baltic to the Mediterranean, participating in various operations and convoy escort duties. During World War II, it notably engaged German forces, including in the evacuation of Dunkirk and the Normandy landings. Post-war, it was scrapped in June 1949.

THE PRINT
This edition print recorded on fine art stock via a large format mimeograph and generally referred to as Giclée prints of premium quality. The paper is white 100% a-cellulose with a distinct textured surface and the premium matt inkjet coating more than meets the highest industry standards vis-à-vis density, colour gamut, colour graduation and image sharpness, while preserving the extraordinary touch and feel of genuine art paper. The editions depicted on Iconic Reserve are not representative of scale and solely for the purpose of suggestive display.

STERLING SILVER 925
The edition comes with a Sterling Silver anchor with a minimum millesimal fineness of 925 which is not pierced through the print but is available on request. The print is also available without the anchor on request.

Laid down: 05 - 03 - 1918
Launched: 21 - 12 - 1918
Displacement: 1,801 long tons
Length: 332 ft
Speed: 36.5 knots
Range: 5,000 nautical miles
Propulsion: x2 Parsons turbines, x2 Shafts
Complement: 164
Fate: Scrapped 1949
Classification: Admiralty type
IconicReserve_strip

£125

Signed limited edition
1 of 200, 470mm x 210mm
Fine art paper 230 gsm

IconicReserve_strip