The C – Listed Douglas Hotel has been on this site before the town of Brodick was established and has been a landmark in the town ever since. Locals and tourists over the years have fond memories of the Douglas Hotel which has played host to generations (often of the same family) enjoying special occasions at the Douglas Hotel and holidays on Arran. Its client history has been quite diverse, originally providing accommodation for associates of the Brodick Castle laird, the Duke of Hamilton, and more recently it has acted as the base for Royal Navy Submarine Commanders while completing their rigorous training on the Perisher course.
The original two and a half storey house is recorded in “Brodick Old and New” as being constructed in 1782 and is typical of this type of house from that period, It later became the local Doctor’s house and practice up until 1852 when it became a hotel. The red sandstone (quarried on Arran) and slate roofed two and a half storey hotel was constructed in front of the original house in 1858 and the grounds were landscaped at this stage. The first manager, Mr P Macdonald was brought over from “where he had one of the finest hotels in Glasgow by the Marquis of Douglas for whom he had been a yeoman” and he became a much respected member of the community.
This coincided with the removal of the island landing in 1856 from below Brodick Castle at the other side of Brodick Bay to its current pier location consequently encouraging an embryonic tourist trade. The 2.5 storey dining room/function suite wing to the west was added, matching the red sandstone and slate and mimicking the eaves details and chimneys of the original development.
A small two storey extension to the west and rear was added again matching the red sandstone and slate and mimicking the details of the original development. A large, two storey bay window was added to the front north facing facade subsequently enlarging the basement area, and giving rise to the look of the property in existence today. The recent rennovations have strived to ensure the integrity of the original building whilst at the same time bringing it firmly into the twenty first century.
This edition was updated in late 2019 in memory of the owner Sean Henry who died suddenly, his Mercedes C63 Black has been added with the mood of the edition altered and is displayed to the right of the original edition which has a blue Disco Volante.
The Douglas Hotel on the Isle of Arran is exhibiting this edition and others in the Arran series and are available to buy ‘off the wall’ .
This edition print recorded on Hahnemühle stock via a large format mimeograph and generally referred to as Giclée prints of premium quality. The paper is white 100% a-cellulose with a distinct textured surface and the premium matt inkjet coating more than meets the highest industry standards vis-à-vis density, colour gamut, colour graduation and image sharpness, while preserving the extraordinary touch and feel of genuine art paper. The editions depicted on Iconic Reserve are not representative of scale and solely for the purpose of suggestive display.
420mm x 597mm
Recorded on Hahnemühle