PS Waverley is the last seagoing passenger-carrying paddle steamer in the world. Built in 1946, she sailed from Craigendoran on the Firth of Clyde to Arrochar on Loch Long until its retirement in 1973. Subsequently bought by the Paddle Steamer Preservation Society (PSPS), she has now been restored to her former glory and now operates passenger excursions around the coast of Britain.
PS Waverley is named after Sir Walter Scott’s first novel. She replaced another PS Waverley that was built in 1899, served in the Second World War as a minesweeper and was sunk in 1940 while helping to evacuate troops from Dunkirk. Shipbuilders A. & J. Inglis of Glasgow launched the new 693 tonne steamer in October 1946. She entered service with the London and North Eastern Railway in June 1947, working the LNER’s Firth of Clyde steamer route from Craigendoran Pier, near Helensburgh, up Loch Long to Arrochar. In her first year of service she sported the red, white and black colours of the LNER on her funnel.
The Waverley is pictured here on the familiar setting of the Firth of Clyde with the mountains of the Isle of Arran in the distance, and with small sailboats on either side of her.
The Douglas Hotel on the Isle of Arran is exhibiting this edition and others in the Arran series and are available to buy ‘off the wall’ .
This signed print is one of a limited edition. It’s recorded on Hahnemühle stock via a large format mimeograph and generally referred to as Giclée prints of premium quality. The paper is white 100% a-cellulose with a distinct textured surface and the premium matt inkjet coating more than meets the highest industry standards vis-à-vis density, colour gamut, colour graduation and image sharpness, while preserving the extraordinary touch and feel of genuine art paper. The editions depicted on Iconic Reserve are not representative of scale and solely for the purpose of suggestive display.
Signed limited edition
1 of 100, 420mm x 597mm
Recorded on Hahnemühle